Tourism Tips For Bologna, Italy
They are my tips to enjoy the beautiful Città Rossa.
If you use only one suggestion from this page, make it the excellent Bologna website: Bologna Welcome. A number of the links below are selections from that site.
|When you are there
Tourist Office / Logding Assistance
In Bologna itself, the first place to go for information is the Tourist Information Bureau (IAT). There are three locations:
You can get maps and a copy (perhaps more recent) of
Ospitalità 2010 Bologna città e provincia
(which has all the lodging information), and lots more information. A must.
- Piazza Maggiore, 6: In Palazzo del Podestà. Best place for obtaining lodgings as well.
- Marconi International Airport
Provincial Tourist Office
The office for Bologna Provincial Tourism is at Via de' Castagnoli, 3 in Bologna.
- Health Emergency: 118
- General Emergency Phone Number Tel. 113
- Police Tel. 113
- Carabinieri Tel. 112
- Fire Tel. 115
- Medical Tel. 118
- 24-Hour Pharmacy Farmacia Comunale in Piazza Maggiore
- Taxi Tel. 051/372.727 (Radio Taxi CO.TA.BO), Tel. 051/534.141 (C.A.T.)
- Central Garage for Towed Vehicles: 65 Via Gardino Tel. 051/521.222
Local Transportation at Arrival
IMPORTANT: Automobile traffic is restricted in Bologna's city center (Centro Storico). To be allowed access and to avoid a heavy fine it is important to discuss arrangements ahead of time with the hotel when booking the reservation. The other option is to find lodging outside of the city center where fewer restrictions exist.
- Marconi International Airport to City Center and/or Bologna Centrale Railway Station
. Aerobus is a shuttle service dedicated to connecting the airport with the city center, Bologna Centrale Railway Station, and the convention center. Follow the signs inside the Arrivals Terminal to the exit and go to the special bus stop. You can pay as you board the bus. For more information call 051/290.290 or go to the web site www.atc.bo.it.
. Taxi line forms outside the Arrivals Terminal. Follow the signs inside for directions to the proper exit.
- Bologna Centrale Railway Station to Local Destinations
. City Bus (AT'C) lines converge at the train station. For detailed information and tickets go to the AT'C office located outside the main door. You should purchase a ticket before you board the bus. Tickets are also available at some newspaper vendors at the station. For schedules and routes check the web site: www.atc.bo.it.
. Taxi line forms outside and to the right of the main exit.
- AT'C Bus Information and Ticket Purchase Offices (www.atc.bo.it)
. Bologna Centrale Railway Station (AT'C Office)
. Marconi International Airport (I.A.T. desk in Arrivals area)
. Via Rizzoli, #9
Ticket purchase is also possible at many bars, tabacchi shops, newspaper stands, etc.
To do while there . . .
Many of the links below selected from the Bologna Welcome Places to Go page which can also be found by clicking the Places tab on the Bologna Welcome english page.
- http://bolognaconnect.com. A non-profit group dedicated to promoting Bologna throughout the world.
- http://italyproject365.com. Bologna Event List and more!
- http://www.lavitabella.org. An association for socializing, promoting, and introducing the excellence of Bologna and its territory.
- Pinacoteca Nazionale di Bologna (National Gallery).
- Museo Ebraico (Jewish Museum).
- Museo Internatzionale e Biblioteca della Musica (Museum and Library of Music).
- Museo Civico Medievale (Medieval Museum).
- Self-Guided Tour of Canals
- University of Bologna: Museums, Libraries, etc.
- Cineteca: Center of Cinema
- ARCA Bologna: Study Italian
- La Vecchia Scuola Bolognese: Study Bolognese Cooking
- Bologna Welcome Card
- Design Your Tour
- City Tours
- Museum of the History of Bologna Palazzo Pepoli
- Teatro Comunale di Bologna
- Oratorios and Chapels
- Suggested Itineraris for Trekking Outside the City Center:
- San Michele in Bosco to Forte Bandiera.
- The Hills Of Bologna
- Feltrinelli Book Store: Piazza Ravegnana, 1. Books in English, Italian and other languages.
I am a writer and have published a book Bologna Reflections: An Uncommon Guide
will be enjoyable to armchair travelers and prospective visitors as well. You
may also enjoy my writings on Sicily.
I have just published a set of stories about travel encounters: Gathering Chestnuts: Encounters Along The Wayy
I invite your comments in English or
Italian about Bologna -- or about what I have written.
Home: Mary Tolaro Noyes
Last update: 07-Mar-2009 Page Author:
Mary Tolaro Noyes